Is my Doctor putting my Thyroid condition off?

I have hypothyroidism with flare ups of Hashimotos disease(swelling of glands extremly tired difficulty swallowing colds and flu like symptoms) My Dr. is telling me to come off my birthcontrol pills because of the hormones and have my tubes tied, then return in 4 months to discuss the removal of my thyroid, He is a specialists and is the second one I have seen, the first one did nothing, I have had nodules biopsied and the results came back inconclusive, I am scared he didn’t want to do any more needle biopsys because only 1 in 100,000 people have thyroid cancer and I wouldn’t be one of them he said. I have had this condition since I was 14 and I am 35 now I also have hudreds of tiny tiny nodules around the thyroid. Should things be moving a little quicker then this?
Dr.’s are only human they do make mistakes I am on my second specialists. 2 specialists in a 222 mile range from our area plus insurance won’t pay for those out of network Dr.s. This is a place of questions, doesn’t mean I will follow through all opinions but all are greatly appreciated.


  • purple toes

    i had hyper thyroid at 14 also and it was unable to stay at a lower more stable level. i began radioactive iodine treatments. took two to kill off the thyroid completely. no i’m cosidered hypo thyroid and take daily synthetic hormones. i get blood tests every three months to keep watch of my T levels. i don’t know about nodules effect but why have un-necessary surgery when it can be done so much easier? I’d get a third opinion mysef. if this feels wrong for you then it is. many family doctors can get you into the specialists at your local teaching hospital too. i found them to be the most up to date and realistic. good luck. i know the difficulties but i’m living happy at 32! thanks to my great doctor!

  • Arse B

    If you are unhappy with your doctor, get a new one.

  • sharon w

    Why do people think their Doctor’s always plotting some sort of evil against their patients ?? You always have a choice,no ones going to drag you back kicking and screaming against your will. Find another specialist,or comply with the suggested treatment, its really that simple. You have a chronic and difficult disease, go to webmd or google it,there’s tons of info out there. This forum isn’t the place.Your specialist has graduated medical school,has spent up to 8 years honing his skill’s and is a "fellow" in his chosen specialty,accepted by the national association,and still you don’t trust his judgement .Go figure.

  • Lisa A

    You do need a new doctor. You have a serious condition that needs further investigation, and neither of these doctors are dong it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.