5 Tips for Healthy Weight Loss
It often seems as though you can’t turn around without seeing new diet pill of magic weight loss formula that promises to make it easier than ever to lose weight. No matter what their wild claims may suggest, it is possible (not to mention practical) to shed those excess pounds with a common sense approach. Every weight loss program covers at least a few of the basics. The only difference is in how they package those basics. Here are five basic steps to help you lose weight quickly and easily.
1. Calories Count – This is a critical part of any weight loss program. The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. Furthermore, you can potentially consume more calories in five minutes than you can burn off in the same amount of time. A simple formula to remember is that 3,500 calories equals one pound. That means if you can reduce how many calories you take in by 500 per day, you will lose one pound per week. By keeping track of your calories you will be more aware of how much you are eating, and be able to control your intake more easily.
2. Portion Control – While counting calories has its benefits, there are times when it simply isn’t practical. But that should never be an excuse to pig out and put your weight loss plan on hold. So, what should you do? The answer is to take smaller helpings of food. Slow down, and your brain will get the signal you are full, so you won’t ever feel like you’re depriving yourself. And no matter how you were brought up, it’s okay to leave some food on your plate.
3. Eat Healthy Foods – Counting calories and watching portions are only part of the bigger picture. to lose weight, you need to choose foods that are healthier for you. As long as you are limiting your calories, it’s smart to make sure those calories are of a higher quality. Junk food that’s laden with fat and sugar are empty calories, they don’t offer any nutrition. Your best bet is to stick to fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, low fat dairy and healthy fats (in moderation).
4. Stay Hydrated – Even though recent studies show that drinking eight glasses of water a day doesn’t help you lose weight, you still need to drink plenty of water. There are other beverages you can drink, but water is the best choice; it has no calories, is necessary to good health, and helps to flush out your system.
5. Maintain Good Health – Most people try to lose weight to get healthy, but you also need to stay healthy as you are losing weight. We sometimes have a tendency to overdo things. You could lose weight quicker if you are obsessed with it, but then other aspects of your health will suffer. The best way to go about weight loss is to do so with a balanced approach.