I need help getting into a mental health facility….?

I’m 15, going on 16, and a freshman in high school. I’ve been self mutilating since I was 12. I know I need (and also want) psychiatric help, but my parents refuse to let me get the help I need. can anyone direct me in the way I need to go in order to get into a mental health facility?


  • Heaintanormaldo

    The stigma attached to mental health is influencing your parents reaction. They are concerned for your future, ”She will not be able to attend college” or ”When she has children social services will snatch them”. Of course this is not the case, however those who lack awareness of mental illness seem to have this perception. Everyone has the right to care and treatment, sadly if they do not acquire the support they need their quality of life will unnecessarily deteriorate. You need to explain the situation to your GP who will implement appropriate action. This will involve your parents who I am sure will gain more understanding of mental ill health. Good luck.

  • Violet

    Most school nurses will refer you via the school to the local mental health clinic, if you can’t get to one through the school nurse then maybe try and go into the clinic without your parents and ask to be referred or at least given one appointment to discuss your problems.
    really hope this helps you 🙂

  • Miss Theatre

    Ugh I HATE spammers…can you all report him, by the way? Trying to get all of them off of Yahoo.

    Anyway, to your question. it is SO GOOD that you are seeking help. Good for you. What you need to do is sit down with your parents and confess that you self-mutilate, and tell them that you may become a lot worse if you do not receive treatment. Tell them it is just as important as a visit to the emergency room. I know this is hard but it will really help to stress that it truly is an emergency and that you need help. If they still do not budge, go to your grandparents or another relative and explain your situation. Surely you can find someone to help you.

  • peacelove

    Please don’t think of hurting yourself. To help yourself, have hope and pray about your life. Tell God about it. God is love. Know that God can help you live a better life. You can have a personal relationship with God by saying the prayer below. God is all-knowing, all-powerful, eternal, holy, love. God loves us and sent us His Son, Jesus Christ, so we can go to heaven if we know and follow Him. Forever means without end — time on and on without death. Forever is what happens after we die. Either we go to heaven and be with God forever, or we go to hell which is very bad and painful forever. The good people who are saved believers in Jesus Christ go to heaven. The bad people go to hell. We need to know and follow God in this world to get to heaven in the next world. We follow God by loving and obeying Him and loving others for Him. Jesus Christ, God’s Son, is our bridge to God. Jesus died on the cross to cancel our sins. We need to accept Jesus into our life as our Lord and Savior forever to receive God’s blessing and forgiveness plus go to heaven to be with God forever after we die. This is about being a born-again Christian. Faith in God is a gift from God. You can pray for faith in God. Just speak out and ask God for the faith to believe in Him and to follow Him. Some people find faith in God when they realize the beauty in the world is made by God. Evolution can’t explain the world’s natural beauty, for example, the parks in the world, animals, flowers, peacocks, sunsets, butterflies, rainbows, etc. After you have your faith on, you can pray a sinner’s prayer to be a born-again Christian. This prayer is very important and should be said with a sincere heart and faith in God. This is the prayer: "Dear God, I know that I am a sinner and that Jesus Christ is the sacrifice for our sins. I have done the following sins (state these out) and I pray to discontinue these sins. I pray to receive Jesus Christ into my life as my Lord and Savior forever. In Jesus’ name, amen." I’m Lutheran and I like the Baptist churches too. You could check out a Christian church youth group to learn about God’s will for your life. You can pray to God about your daily life and have a Christian church pray for you.

  • Charlotte

    Hi, im seventeen and have just came out from hospital for being sectioned and i just want to pre-warn you that they are NOT nice places. I highly recomend you try and get help in the community first, see your GP who can makes urgent referrals but you do not need ot be in a psychiatric hospital, it takes alot for them to admit you. And although you want to except help- which is great- you may not need that kind of help. Youe GP will be able to help you more and have ideas.
    See your GP tomorrow.
    All the best
    If you ever want to talk, i’ll understand. Im always here.

  • Please talk to your school counselor or a trusted adult, immediately. You should be congratulated on realizing that you need help and on your willingness to seek it. Your parents are in denial, but don’t let that stop you from seeking help from another adult. You can recover and God helps those who pray. God bless.

Leave a Reply