Does anyone know natural home remedies for asthma?

My husband has asthma and uses inhalers and the breathing machine everyday, but we are wanting to find natural remedies that we can do at home. We would really like to not have to go to the doctor and use medicines. So if there is anyone out there who knows any remedies that really work that you or someone you know has tried please let us know. We would appreciate it.


  • Nutritionist UK

    Asthma is not something that can be treated with remedies, as it is not a temporary but a permanent condition. You can take an aspirin as a remedy for a headache, because most headaches are only temporary, so you can dull the pain until the headache goes away on its own. Asthma is not like that.

    The best advice is to consult a naturopath, who can find out what is irritating your husband’s lungs and making them spasm. This can be something as simple as house-dust mite or a food intolerance, or it could be more complex, involving poor digestion and an imbalance of gut flora which needs quite intensive investigation and treatment that is not provided by conventional doctors.

    Magnesium deficiency is also common in asthmatics.

    Wishing you success with improving your husband’s health.

  • Jerzigurl

    i dont no…wish i did i have asthma too=( let me no what u find out please=)

  • Sharon

    What is the cause of his asthma? Is there a defect in his lungs, or is it from Allergies? If there is a physical manifestation, then I would have to say, you really don’t have a choice, but you can study up on the meds and try to find the ones that fit him better.

    If it’s allergens… get an allergy test, find out what he is allergic to, then do your best to get rid of what is ailing his lungs and breathing. You can buy an air purifier, and take a natural supplement called Quercetin, which is $7 online. It is a powerful antioxidant, antihistamine and anti inflammatory. They recommend no more than 1500 mg a day, spread the doses out across the day.

    Once the allergy test comes back, if that is it, then you can have a serum made up to be given to your husband. My son took shots for two years, and we got rid of most if not all of his allergies. He had damaged lungs, so cold air was hard on him. But, now he is doing fine, at 22.

    The bottom line with asthma, triggered by allergies, is to keep fresh clean air in your home, no smoking around him, and keeping the dust/animal dander down to a minimum. Vaccuum daily, wipe things down constantly, clean off ceiling fans.Wash sheets, curtains, stuffed animals- weekly. You will be surprised at the difference it makes. Hard wood floors or tile are also better than carpet. It’s a lot of work, but well worth it. But, please, talk to the doctor!

  • Gary Y

    There are none, apart from what your doctor has already advised, eg; breathing exercises, avoiding triggers and staying healthy. From the sounds of things, your husbands asthma is quite bad, please read this article from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America:

    In particular: "Consult with your physician before starting any new treatment! This point cannot be stressed enough. If you have symptoms of asthma or allergy, but you have not been diagnosed, consult a board-certified doctor for a proper diagnosis. Do not rely on health product store personnel to help treat undiagnosed symptoms. If you know you have asthma or allergies, again, talk with your doctor about the alternative medicine you want to use—before you try it."

    EDIT: @thenoseknows said: "Many cases of asthma have been successfully cured through Homeopathy".

    That is an outright LIE. Please post your evidence.

  • Indigo

    I would suggest taking 1000mg vitamin C daily. It will take time to kick in and it may help some but not a lot.
    Totally stop artificial food flavourings like aspartame and MSG.
    Apples are great for respiratory health. So eat apples.

  • thenoseknows

    Many cases of asthma have been successfully cured through Homeopathy. It’s safe, gentle and effective. Since it’s a chronic problem, you should consult with a professional Homeopath.

Leave a Reply